Sunday, November 20, 2005

Howdy from the Lone Star

Gina and I are spending the Thanksgiving break in Dallas this year, so for this week only the "Virginia" label doesn't actually apply. Gina flew in last Wednesday, and I got here yesterday. We have already had a great time so far, getting to see many people and there is more fun to be had before we head back to the grind.

Last night we got to attend a wedding reception for a friend of ours, Charmaine (Hill) Poteet. There were several other friends of ours whom we had not seen in a long time, and we were some of the last folks to leave. It's just like Gina and I to be the last people to leave a party. The reception was at the Fort Worth Stockyards, which is a really cool place. I used to go there now and again when I lived in Grapevine. She had a live band and lots of BBQ. I actually thought about grabbing a guitar and busting loose with a rendition of "Number Man," but I really hate to humiliate the professional musicians.

Today, we went with Tommy, Carol, Kierra, Zachary and Kendall to see a movie. Carol and Kendall went to see Chicken Little, while the rest of us watched the newest Harry Potter installment. I haven't read the books, which explains why the whole Harry Potter fascination is a mystery to me. It was a pretty entertaining movie, but many people have explained to me that I need to read the books in order to fully appreciate the movies. Sorry, Harry, but you will have to remain a mystery for now. After the movie we went to Chuck E. Cheese's pizza joint. You may not be able to tell, but I have had enough sugar and visual stimulation to increase my heart rate to that of a hummingbird. I used to love that place when I was a kid, but this time it seemed more like a loud, chaotic germ fest. But the kids loved it, and we had a great time watching them feed tokens into those silly games. It made a great memory.

I haven't decided if I am going to post again next Sunday or wait until we are back in Virginia. I am still driving myself crazy with a few papers, and there is still a stack of work to grade. Anyway, I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving, and I wish you God's protection if you dare go to the mall or Wal-Mart next Friday. If I have my way, I will stay indoors and avoid all retail establishments at any cost. So, take care and enjoy your time with friends and family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, how I miss hearing Number Man and Picture Day...